- Development of a holistic system concept for high-capacity air/water heat pumps for retrofitted multi-family and commercial buildings in urban areas.
- Investigation and definition of building integration concepts for high capacity air/water heat pumps including control strategies.
- Definition and testing of use-cases for integration of high capacity air/water heat pumps into smart electric grids.
- Validate the overall control concept and smart gird integration concept by means of hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing on lab scale.
- Evaluation of alternative refrigerants for use in high-capacity air/water heat pumps.
- Development of design methods for high efficiency air/water heat pump cycles with substantially reduced refrigerant charge using an alternative refrigerant.
- Validate the developed concepts for the heat pump unit and the components on lab scale by means of testing of pilots.
- Development of a control platform for air/water heat pumps integrating other renewable energy sources including thermal storages and interfacing the smart grid.
- Design and investigation of new compressor concepts for an alternative refrigerant enabling high efficiency and low refrigerant charge.
- Investigation of new concepts for high performance aluminium micro-channel heat exchangers for evaporators and condensers enabling low refrigerant charges for high-capacity air/water heat pumps.
- Investigation of new concepts for high performance axial fans with optimised airflow system for air/water heat pumps enabling low energy demand and low noise emissions.
- Development and investigation of a novel evaporator unit based on advanced anti-icing and defrosting methods.